Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EARTHQUAKES
that was a good 'un, it was close, I bet
got to get on the tv to see, hayward fault most likeley
california has been active lately
bummer, if the power goes I am going to freeze my ass off!
it is supposed to rain too.

the dogs got up for that one
I could feel the jelly roll= we are on soil likely to liquify.

I heard the attic creeking under the stress shit!
I hope that isn't a foreshock!
http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/ca/STO...im_stats_2

it was 3.7 and only 2+ miles from me.
it looks like it was on the east side of the Berkeley hills.
The hayward fault runs long wise, in between.
there's a shit list of people who called it a 4!maybe others felt it worse than I did? :eek: my dogs looked at me like, what do we do? I looked back, "I don't know" it is too fucking cold to run outside.
if there is a power failure I will freeze!
you live on a really bad piece of earth
hope things will be fine :nervous:
It looks like the north end of the hayward fault has been having seismic releases 2 miles S/E and 2 miles N/E of Berkeley.
the one last night was under the Claremont Hotel
it is in one of my photos whent the fire had it surrounded.

I live in the most beautiful place! be it for a day, is better than a year some where else.

I see a rock outcropping that is of gray, slate-like layers that stick up, some 1.800 feet from sea level, like a ridge or the top fin of a fish.
at one end is the Caldecott tunnel, they intend to make another bore thru it, that is a mistake.
the other end is a reservoir that will flood a lot of homes.
This is either releasing or building, I think it is building.. toward a much bigger quake.
Where i am the water table is just a few feet under me.
Most of albany will liquify & shake like a bowl of jello.
the other house is so close to the fault yet it may be ok accept for the fire danger.
the after math will be horrendous!
the small. 3.7 [it was small] quake last night was felt from oregon on down into the middle of california

no one should live on top of the fault line!
fact is, they built most of the hospitals, freeways, and lots of rich homes right smack in it.
It is coming.. in my horror scope, Pluto in the 8th house says it brings Inheritance and group deaths.
I have had the inheritance, can I escape the group death?

All the places on earth to which I am attracted are seismic zones.
that is what makes them so dramatically beautiful I guess.
The Northbrae area of Berkeley, [and the west hollywood hills] is so beautiful, which ever way you look is like a gorgeous painting.

this is from a local paper Dec 22d

Temblor Punctuates Debate Over Stadium
By Richard Brenneman (12-22-06)

Raked by a legal broadside, the University of California beat a temporary retreat Wednesday, agreeing to halt development at Memorial Stadium pending a hearing in Alameda County Superior Court.

The move grants a short reprieve to the grove of oaks and other threatened trees west of the stadium where four protesters are camped out in the branches in protest over the impending loss of the last remaining grove of coastal live oaks in the Berkeley plains.

The tentative date for the first hearing on the actions is Jan. 11, reports Berkeley City Council-member Dona Spring, a co-plaintiff in an action filed by the California Oaks Foundation.

“The university has agreed to stop from doing anything further until a hearing on a preliminary injunction,” said City Attorney Manuela Albuquerque.

Just hours after university officials agreed to the delay, project foes got a boost from Mother Nature, as if in punctuation of the claims of foes that it makes no sense to spending hundreds of millions building on an active fault.

At 7:12 p.m. the Hayward Fault fired off the first of a pair sharp jolts, followed at 12:55 a.m. by a second, smaller shock—both with epicenters less than 1.2 miles southeast of the stadium.

The first single, sharp jolt hit 3.7 on the 10-point Richter scale. The second rated a feebler 2.2.

The first temblor, felt as far away as Las Vegas, Nev.—659 miles southeast—and Eugene, Ore., 689 miles to the north—was more than 1,000 times weaker than the Hayward Fault shocker that U.S. Geological Survey seismologists say has a one in five chance of happening in the next two decades.

“Maybe that will shake some sense into them,” said Spring, referring to University officials, “though it seems like nothing will deter these guys until they see the chucks of concrete falling into the stadium.”

“Hopefully it knocked some sense into them” said City Manager Phil Kamlarz, who also reported the only damage so far reported to the paper—a vase that shattered when it fell off a shelf in his house.

In a sworn statement filed with the city’s action, Deputy Fire Chief David P. Orth called the stadium project “a disaster waiting to happen.”

“The location of the Stadium ... on an active earthquake fault in a hazardous fire area and listed by State and Federal officials as a high-risk target served by a limited and convoluted road network makes no sense,” said the 28-year veteran of Berkeley disasters.

The California Oaks Foun-dation filed Tuesday, the same day as the city filed its action and a week after the first lawsuit, which was filed by the Panoramic Hill Association, which represents neighbors on the slope overlooking the site where the university plans projects totaling more than a third of a billion dollars.

Also joining with the Oaks Foundation suit were Spring, Doug Buckwald, Sara Shumer, Henry Norr, Lindsay Vurek, Patricia Edwards, Anne Marie Tayllor, Stan and Carrie Sprague and the McGee-Spaulding-Hardy Historic Interest Group.

Mike Kelly, an officer of the Panoramic Hills Association, said he was pleased with the delay, especially in light of Wednesday night’s quake. “The university recognizes the importance of this case as do we. The fundamental issues of constructing major additions on top of the Hayward Fault have yet to be addressed.”

Kelley said he and neighbors felt Wednesday night’s quake “quite strongly.”

Tree shaker

The tree-sitters survived the quake in good shape, even the two who were making a traverse from tree to tree on ropes strung between the trunks high above the ground. “Those two didn’t even feel it,” said Doug Buckwald, the volunteer who has been coordinating ground support for arboreal activists.

Pending the outcome of the January court ruling, the university has granted a stay of execution to the trees, but that doesn’t mean peace in the branches or for the ground crew, said Buckwald

“UC Police are back to their aggressive tactics,” he said, including the arrival at 1:30 Thursday morning of two campus police cars and a third car from the Kensington Police Department. “They had backed off last weekend, but they’re back again and asking to see the IDs of everybody on the ground.

“The Kensington police brought an infrared camera and were taping everything up in the trees,” Buckwald said. “What’s next, LAPD? They could fly ’em by helicopter,” he said.

Nonetheless, Buckwald said he was glad the trees had been granted a temporary reprieve.

“We are pleased that the university has agreed to delay implementation of this ill-conceived project,” said Janet Cobb, executive director of the California Oaks Foundation in a prepared statement.

Handling the foundation’s suit is Oakland attorney Stephan Volker, who said “We are gratified the university has agreed to pull back the chainsaws and bulldozers while the court examines the merit of our lawsuit.”

Legal basis

As do the other suits, the city’s action, accompanied by supporting affidavits from officials, charges that UC regents adopted an error-ridden environmental impact report and wrongly approved construction of the $125 million gym and office complex planned at the site of the grove.

The stadium and gym are two of seven projects included in the environmental impact reports approved by UC Regents Dec. 5.

All three lawsuits make the same basic allegations: “The university’s plans violate the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and the Alquist-Priolo Act,” said Oaks Foundation attorney Stephan Volker.

CEQA requires developers demonstrate either that their projects post no significant threats to the natural, human and cultural environments, or, if so, that mitigations be developed to keep them to a minimum.

Alquist-Priolo bars new construction within 50 feet of an active earthquake fault, the Oaks Foundation lawsuit features a geologist’s declaration that the Student Athlete High Performance Center (SAHPC) does, in fact, fall within that zone, as does the stadium itself.

The other suits make the same allegation.

Volker said the university’s environmental impact report (EIR) failed to adequately address the impact of demolishing “a venerable remnant of California Live Oaks believed by many professionals to be a significant ecological niche which should be preserved.”

That point is also reiterated in the city’s motion.

The proposed mitigations—which included planting new saplings—fail to make good for the losses of that last stand of native oaks in the Berkeley flats, Volker said.

The city’s action, prepared by Sacramento attorney Harriet Steiner, includes sworn declarations from Orth, Planning and Development Director Dan Marks, Associate Traffic Engineer Peter Eakland and Assistant City Manager Arietta Chakos.

Orth’s declaration was the scorcher.

The city’s 26-page petition also alleges that the university:

• Failed to offer reasonable alternatives to building the SAHPC next to the stadium, or to retrofitting the stadium itself;

• Failed to analyze project impacts on the city and public;

• Failed to offer reasonable mitigation measures;

• Failed to comply with Alquist-Priolo by maintaining the gym is separate from the stadium, when it is not, contradicting earlier drafts of the EIR;

• Violates Alquist-Priolo by calling for projects that exceed the law’s limitation that no work on projects within fault zones can exceed 50 percent of the structure’s value;

• Failed to give the public and officials adequate information during the comment period during preparation of the EIR;

• Approved the EIR even though six of the seven projects it includes haven’t been designed;

• Failed to adequately consider the impact of the projects on city services and infrastructure, especially emergency services, transportation and sewers;

• Offered flawed analysis that “misstates the true significance of the project’s impacts” that include emergency evacuations during fires and following earthquakes. [/i]

there have been more quakes on the 23d
this is like living with an avil suspended above one's head!
thse idiots are going to build a death trap with our money!
the money could be going to help prepare for the event but they won't do that
they want to see us go so they can take over the land lik ein new orleans!
the former mayor lives in the damn crack! her street IS the fault line!
fact: the fault line goes thru the richest districts of the hill area.
the rich, i.e. smart people all live on the damn fault zone!
I can't wait for the arrogant assholes to fall in it!
highways, hospitals, fire stations all sit right on top of the mother fucker!
how smart is that?!
I know a lot of bastardly people who I hope will be hanging off the fucking cliff they built on!
I hope they are not allowed to build back!
all those broken gas lines and sewer lines
felled power lines and loss of water supply.
{those are inevitable!

how in the hell do they expect to get rescued?
who's burden will they become?
suck ass mother fuckers can't wait to build more shit in the fucking crack!
the stadium crosses the fault line, they see the seats splittting apart, they have built some big underground facility under the stadium already, a death trap!
Isn't that a sad reflection if with all the educated people they crank ut of the university they would be so goddamn dumb and arrogant?!!
get ready to have F.E.M.A. sucked dry!
you all who pay taxes in the united states will get to pay these bastards to rebuild their mess! :la: that is what you get for staying asleep!
not going to your local government and making them make sense!
I don't go to places that are death traps, even the supermarket is a death trap!
only one way out and that is past glass windows and electric doors.
when the poer fails, will the doors open? the soup cans and wine bottles will be flung thru the air.
everyone heading for the same exit where the glass fronted building will surely shatter.
I was at a brand new store and took note of the number of customers and the narrowness of the isles .. the building is deep and narrow with no back or side exit.
most people will never get out!
I am so goddamn mad that they are allowed to do this!
I don't care what happens to them now, they asked for it!
in Berkeley now, they are planning more crowding, more building and they have hired an asian to do it because they already live like ants in anthills!
this used to be the wild fronteer! the wide open spaces! fucking easterners have moved here and are making it just as conjested and shitty as the places they left, back east!
Confusedtoptheinsanity:

3:26 pm yesterday, 2 mi South East of Berkeley a 3.4
I barely felt it. Charles was next door and he felt it more, being in a 2 story house.

The TV said, this section of the Hayward fault has been having many small quakes over time, whereas the lower section is Blocked.
supposedly it is releasing stress with the many small quakes, as it has been doing all my life.

Where the fault is will move right to left.
It won't be a big deal unless you're in/on it at the time.
stay off highway 13, it is the fault.
northfork Wrote:you live on a really bad piece of earth
hope things will be fine :nervous:

how was it for you?
I heard there was a 3-4 mag quake felt in Haifa and Telaviv
where are you?
did you feel it?
here is a 00 hr chart for El Cerrito progressed to the time of the quake.
I see some stuff in the 4th house of lands and buildings.
there was no damage, this is a small one.

[Image: aV2bylY9.jpg]
[Image: aV2bAnar.jpg]
I found this over at the tree of liberty

[attachment=300]

The hole on the Temple Mount plaza caused Friday by a 5.3-magnitude earthquake. (Islamic Movement)

Last update - 21:21 16/02/2008
Recent tremors raise fears of potentially destructive earthquake
By Zafrir Rinat and Eli Ashkenazi, Haaretz Correspondents, Haaretz Service and AP
Tags: Lebanon, earthquake, Syria

The National Infrastructures Ministry said in a statement following Friday's 5.3-magnitude earthquake that the most recent tremors have increased fears about the possibility of a destructive earthquake taking place here.

The earthquake shook Israel early Friday afternoon and was felt mostly in the Coastal Plain. A 4.1-magnitude earthquake was felt earlier this week in parts of Israel.

Magen David Adom emergency medical services said that no injuries were reported.
Advertisement
Friday's earthquake shook open a large hole on the Temple Mount plaza, near the Dome of the Rock.

Al-Aqsa mosque officials belonging to the Islamic Movement's Northern Branch covered the hole with wooden planks following afternoon prayers.

The officials, who also said the quake caused cracks in several local residential buildings, said the hole was a meter deep, two meters long and meter and a half wide.

The Islamic Movement blamed Israel for the hole, saying Israel is digging tunnels in the area that undermine the stability in the area of the Al-Aqsa mosque. The organization urged Islamic states to take action to stop Israeli excavations in the area.

Epicenter northeast of Lebanese city of Tyre
A Tel Aviv resident, living on the second floor, said: "We felt the earth move. The bed was rocking, the doors were moving, and the chandeliers were swinging."

In the West Bank, An old house fell onto the main road in Kofin village west of Nablus, blocking it but not hurting anyone.

The earthquake also shook Lebanon and Syria.

Residents in some areas of Beirut left their apartments and went into the street after the first jolt shortly after midday, which lasted a few seconds.

Five people were lightly injured in southern Lebanon, according to police.

Residents of Damascus, the Syrian capital about a 2-hour drive away, reported feeling the quake as well.

The quake's epicenter was 15 kilometers northeast of the southern Lebanese city of Tyre.

Local television stations reported the main force of the quake hit southern Lebanon where it damaged houses in two villages.

Two small quakes shook Lebanon on Thursday night, according to the local media.

Earlier this month, the education ministry reported that 45 percent of the schools and the kindergartens in Israel would face serious danger in the case of a strong earthquake.

During the Knesset discussion on earthquake precautions held in January, a representative of Israel's fire department said that in the case of a serious earthquake, only 29 firefighters would be available in Jerusalem to handle a situation in which, according to forecasts, hundreds of houses will collapse and thousands will be killed.

A 2005 forecast maintains that if an earthquake measuring 7.5 on the Richter Scale were to hit Beit She'an, 16,000 people would be killed, 90,000 people would be hurt and 400,000 would become homeless. 130,000 buildings will collapse or suffer extensive damage.
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/930241.html
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/927478.html
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt...mNo=448655&contrassID=1&subContrassID=7&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=Y
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt...mNo=633843
When did this one occur, newby here, just wondering if this messsage is recent, still looking thngs over in the site.., gosh, 3.7 is just enough to shake your morning frosty!!!
About the size of the arlam clock I got to wake me up..heehee...just
kiddin! Kemokae.
Looks like I'm learning my way around, on the temple mount earthquake...above being an 5 pointer quake...
you know the Nisqually Quake that happened near Olympia, Washington
came rolling through my area, eastside Portland, Oregon a couple of
years ago and I was sitting there on the sofa, watching my ususal morning shows, an nice day out after a couple of days of rain, baskign in the sun, and I start feeling this vibrating, it gets louder, and I'm staring at the ceiling light, it's kind of an ugly "gothic" (well it came with the house, to tell you the truth...and you know how that is) looking thing and it's swinging from one side up to the ceiling to the other side, and it comes on TV instantly.."Yes, we are having an earthquake"..so I think to myself, "Get the heck out"!...and took off running for the front door, my neighbor's in his yard blowing leaves and I walk over to him and say, we just had an good sized earthquake you know, and he says, "No, really, I thought it maybe the machine"...I just shook my head and waved good by, got back in and all the channels on the news have it on and TV Alert...that went on for well over half a day on TV..later on that night I am inspecting my fireplace wall, and I saw a small crack in it..now anymore shaking and I wonder if it would of stood the test..it came through Portland at about the magnitude of an 5 pointer. I know... put your "faith in God" and don't wet your pants honey! You all do realize how far away Olympia, Washington is from me....nearly 75 miles away, I was just thinking, now people are talking about the biggie in Cailfornia again, I can just imagine how much of that we will feel up here, it's kind of scary..where's my security blanket?, the one with the worn out corner, I use to pick on...sigh* I think I'll take helicopter lessons just in case? OK, get Batman wings at the very least. Later.
^ *points up* :grin: You tell 'em in technicolor!

you mean, there was no post about the quake in Israel over at syzygy?

I wrote to Don and asked him, I got the impression it was not one he saw coming.
My friend, Northfork is in tela viv (see Northfork's Dump)
He wrote me a few days ago and I hope to have him on the phone this weekend.
I will ask him if he felt it and what's the scoop.

I found out about it at thetreeoflibery.com's forum.

The area of the San Andreas just below S.F. has had at least 2 quakes lately.
It is a worry ..
there is a theory that a quake has a "vibratory rate" and that is why somethings are hit and others missed.
The building must have a similar vibratory rate to the quake, then it "resonates" "vibrates" more that other things.
I'm wondering if we can't figure out the "where and when and how much" using the charts.
a quake, represented by a chart of the transiting planets at the moment & location will show a "pattern of astrological energy"
by looking a charts for people or places and laying the transit chart over their progressed chart
I hope it will show the correspondence must be there for the person or the place to be able to receive the shake.
If we did a chart for you, progressed to the time of that quake you felt, it should be there for us to see in your chart.
Do you have a day/date you took ownership of your home?
On my dad's papers it gives a time of day too.
I hope the birth chart for my house will tell me when it will be open to receiving the "astral energy" from the transiting planets.

TV sure likes to capitalize on our fear, huh?

2:58 min on line for my eyes today. I gotta rest them, bbL8R

OOOO! this one is DEEEP!!!!!! [attachment=304]

5.1 Mb - SOUTH OF FIJI ISLANDS
Preliminary Earthquake Report

Magnitude
5.1 Mb

Date-Time
6 Mar 2008 04:28:01 UTC
6 Mar 2008 16:28:01 near epicenter
5 Mar 2008 20:28:01 standard time in your timezone

Depth
462 km

Distances
529 km (329 miles) WSW (237 degrees) of NUKU'ALOFA, Tonga
3194 km (1984 miles) WSW (253 degrees) of PAPEETE, Tahiti, French Polynesia

Location Uncertainty
Horizontal: 18.5 km; Vertical 31.1 km

Parameters
Nph = 18; Dmin = 999.9 km; Rmss = 1.25 seconds; Gp = 144°
M-type = Mb; Version = 6

Event ID
US 2008pga
i remember that earthquake, it was felt almost everywhere in israel, some people got injured i heard..

i really believe a huge (and i mean HUGE) disaster earthquake will actually make this middle east dump better, nothing is better than a big ass earthquake to "shake" stubborn close minded people's political shitty small minds

did you feel it? where were you?
is there really a big hole in the ground in front of the temple?

we're having a bit of a swarm of them a.t.m.

View Larger Map
yeah i did feel it, i was just waking up in the morning tho, so i was laying down but it still felt it, my brother (still at school) was evacuated at school for they didnt want to take the risk.. i didnt hear about a whole near the temple because of the earthquake though

say, my neighbor sent me this}

The following comes from a message by an expert on how to survive an earthquake. Read and learn!

My name is Doug Copp. I am the Rescue Chief and Disaster Manager of the American Rescue Team International (ARTI), the world's most experienced rescue team. The information in this article will save lives in an earthquake.

I have crawled inside 875 collapsed buildings, worked with rescue teams from 60 countries, founded rescue teams in several countries, and I am a member of many rescue teams from many countries..

I was the United Nations expert in Disaster Mitigation for two years. I have worked at every major disaster in the world since 1985, except for simultaneous disasters.

Simply stated, when buildings collapse, the weight of the ceilings falling upon the objects or furniture inside, crushes these objects, LEAVING A SPACE OR VOID NEXT TO THEM. This space is what I call the "TRIANGLE OF LIFE".

The larger and stronger the object, the less it will compact. The less the object compacts, the larger the void and the greater the probability that the person who is using this void for safety will not be injured.

The next time you watch collapsed buildings, on television, count the "triangles" you see formed. They are everywhere. It is the most common shape you will see in a collapsed building.

TIPS FOR EARTHQUAKE SAFETY

1) Cats, dogs and babies often naturally CURL UP IN THE FETAL POSITION.
You should too in an earthquake.. It is a natural safety/survival instinct. You can survive in a smaller void. GET NEXT TO an object, next to a sofa, next to A LARGE BULKY OBJECT that will compress slightly but leave a void next to it.

2) Wooden buildings are the safest type of construction to be in during an earthquake. Wood is flexible and moves with the force of the earthquake. If the wooden building does collapse, large survival voids are created. Brick buildings will break into individual bricks. Bricks will cause many injuries but less squashed bodies than concrete slabs.

3) IF YOU ARE IN BED during the night and an earthquake occurs, simply roll off the bed. A SAFE VOID WILL EXIST AROUND THE BED. Hotels could achieve a much greater survival rate in earthquakes simply by posting a sign on the back of the door of every room telling occupants to lie down on the floor next to the bottom of the bed during an earthquake.

4) IF AN EARTHQUAKE HAPPENS AND YOU CANNOT EASILY ESCAPE BY GETTING OUT OF A DOOR OR WINDOW, THEN LIE DOWN AND CURL UP IN A FETAL POSITION NEXT TO A SOFA OR LARGE CHAIR.

5) Most everyone who gets under a doorway when buildings collapse is killed. How? If you stand under a doorway and the doorjamb falls forward or backward you will be crushed by the ceiling above. If the door jam falls sideways you will be cut in half by the doorway. In either case, you will be killed!

6) Never go to the stairs. The stairs have a different "moment of frequency" (they swing separately from the main part of the building).
The stairs and remainder of the building continuously bump into each other until structural failure of the stairs takes place. The people who get on stairs before they fail are chopped up by the stair treads - horribly mutilated. Even if the building doesn't collapse, stay away from the stairs. The stairs are a likely part of the building to be damaged. Even if the stairs are not collapsed by the earthquake, they may collapse later when overloaded by fleeing people. They should always be checked for safety, even when the rest of the building is not damaged.

7) GET NEAR THE OUTER WALLS OF BUILDINGS OR OUTSIDE THEM IF POSSIBLE.
It is much better to be near the outside of the building rather than the interior. The farther inside you are from the outside perimeter of the building the greater the probability that your escape route will be blocked.

8) People inside of their vehicles are crushed when the road above falls in an earthquake and crushes their vehicles; which is exactly what happened with the slabs between the decks of the Nimitz Freeway. The victims of the San Francisco earthquake all stayed inside of their vehicles. They were all killed. They could have easily survived by GETTING OUT AND SITTING OR LYING DOWN NEXT TO THEM. Nearly all the crushed cars had voids 3 feet high next to them.

9) I discovered, while crawling inside of collapsed newspaper offices and other offices with a lot of paper, that paper does not compact. Large voids are found surrounding stacks of paper.

Spread the word and save someone's life... The entire world is experiencing natural calamities so be prepared!
more tips I got in email from kemokae}

in an apartment, "sandwich" mattresses and blankets and stuff pillows from
everything in your room to provide insulation/comfort...and sleep in this small cube, the more the merrier, and the hotter it gets in it. they say to lay the matresses in an corner of the room if possible and cover the tops with blankets to keep in the heat. Your object here is to have
something on two sides of you and two walls, and something under you and over you. I fyou only have an small twin mattress to work with, indeed make yourself like the icing inside of
an cookie..or sleep between the two mattresses. Perferably you'll be in dry circumstances
also. If not, waterproofed the whole works. All things such as toy stuffed animals and what
not work well for insulating properties.
water....if it's raining, try to catch it in an pan out the window some way, you could maybe
even use an tarp for that if secured correctly. But they also said that sometimes you can
also use your water heater water, which is why you should yearly flush the system, or even
the above toilet tank water in dire emergencies....but dont' forget city fountains perhaps.
Just make sure the water is not polluted if possible. Again havig an patnry with water storage
in it works well also.
Food....granola's....boxed cereal's...candy bars..canned soups...any canned anything that's
as good uncooked as cooked would work,...in dire circumstances, look for the roof tops
where the pigeons fly and grab one of them to eat,..look to the city street corner flower baskets to see if any of the flowers are edible varieties. Dandilions?...they make excellent
salads. I hear they are tasty. Now you know I can't get an book in three paragraphs, you got an city library there, it's mostly likely availabe there for the checking out. I have the book, but
I'd have to look it up again for more hints. Kemo.
U.S. Geological Survey
U.S. Department of the Interior

News Release

For release: June 5, 2008

Jessica Robertson, 703-648-6624, jrobertson@usgs.gov

Science Picks — Leads, Feeds and Story Seeds
June 2008 Edition

In this edition of Science Picks, discover details about the recent major
earthquake in China, including expectations for aftershocks, and find out
about a hypothetical earthquake scenario unveiled for Southern California
and new publications on how to trek along the Hayward fault line. Learn
about climate change impacts on the Colorado River basin and an opportunity
to attend a briefing on the issue, how mineral production data reflect the
U.S. economic slowdown, the start of hurricane season, and much more! If
you would like to receive Science Picks via e-mail, would like to change
the recipient, or no longer want to receive it, please e-mail
jrobertson@usgs.gov.

June Highlights:

· Major Earthquake in China Results in Casualties and Severe Damage
· Disaster Earthquake Scenario Unveiled for Southern California
· Tracing the Hayward Fault: Online and On the Ground
· Climate Change Impacts to the Colorado River Basin
· Mineral Production Data Reflect Economic Slowdown
· Hurricanes: The Season is Here
· What’s Up With Sinkholes?
· Dying Bats in the Northeast Remain a Mystery
· Boldly Going Where No Man (or Woman) Goes: USGS Unmanned Aircraft
· Is the Water Warm Enough for a Dip?
· No Bandying Around: The Future of the Bird Banding Laboratory
· Humans Hunting Wolves: Effects on Wolf Packs
· Sea Otters: Picky Eaters
· Ducking in for a Spring Break: Southern Oregon and Northeastern
California

LEADS: (top news, updates and happenings in natural science)

Major Earthquake in China Results in Casualties and Severe Damage

A magnitude-7.9 earthquake occurred on May 12, about 55 miles west of
Chengdu, Sichuan, China, an urban area with a population of more than 10
million. As a result of this earthquake, there have been at least 34,000
casualties and severe damage in the nearby mountainous areas. The
earthquake was felt throughout South Asia, including as far away as
Pakistan, Thailand and Vietnam. Earthquakes in this part of China are
infrequent but not unexpected. The most recent damaging earthquakes were a
magnitude-6.1 earthquake in 1989 and a magnitude-7.5 earthquake in 1933,
which killed more than 9,000 people. Aftershocks of the May 12 quake are
expected to continue for months. Within the first few hours following the
7.9 quake, more than 13 moderate-size earthquakes were recorded, the
largest being a magnitude 6.0. The USGS is continuing to monitor earthquake
activity in the area. More detailed information about these and other
earthquakes around the world can be found at http://earthquake.usgs.gov/.
For more information, contact Clarice Nassif Ransom at 703-648-4299 or
cransom@usgs.gov.

Disaster Earthquake Scenario Unveiled for Southern California

Scientists recently unveiled a hypothetical scenario describing how a
magnitude-7.8 Southern California earthquake — similar to the recent
earthquake in China — would impact the region. Impacts include loss of
lives and massive damage to infrastructure, including critical
transportation, power, and water systems. In the scenario, the earthquake
would kill 1800 people, injure 50,000, cause $200 billion in damage, and
have long-lasting social and economic consequences. This is the most
comprehensive analysis ever of what a major Southern California earthquake
would mean, and is the scientific framework for what will be the largest
earthquake preparedness drill in California history, scheduled for November
13, 2008. A copy of the full technical report “The ShakeOut Scenario” is
available online at http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2008/1150, and a non-technical
summary narrative is online at http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/1324/. Paper
copies of the narrative are available by request. High-resolution images
and a computer animation showing the scenario earthquake rupture and the
waves of energy spreading across Southern California are online at
http://urbanearth.usgs.gov/shakeout. For more information, contact Clarice
Nassif Ransom at 703-648-4299 or cransom@usgs.gov.

Tracing the Hayward Fault: Online and On the Ground

Ever wonder exactly where the Hayward Fault is located? Three new
educational publications will show you just where to look. A field trip
guidebook, online virtual tour, and factsheet aimed at increasing awareness
of the greater Bay Area’s most hazardous and urbanized fault are available
courtesy of USGS scientists. The 140th anniversary of the 1868 Hayward
earthquake this October 21 marks an important milestone — the past five
large earthquakes on the Hayward Fault have been about 140 years apart on
average, and a repeat of this powerful earthquake could happen at any
moment. A recent report indicates that the Hayward Fault is the most likely
fault to produce a magnitude-6.7 or larger earthquake in the greater Bay
Area in the next 30 years. The field trip guidebook is available online at
http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2008/1135/, the online virtual tour at
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/nca/...rtualtour/, and the factsheet
at http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2008/3019/. For more information, contact Susan
Garcia at 650-329-4668 or garcia@usgs.gov.

Climate Change Impacts to the Colorado River Basin

Scientific research indicates that warmer temperatures may create
substantial water supply shortages in the Colorado River. This would
greatly impact the more than 25 million people who rely on this source for
water and power. Science-based tools and information are needed to adapt to
changing climate conditions in this region of growing population and
limited water resources. For more information on the USGS model showing
potential shortages from this basin, visit
http://water.usgs.gov/nrp/proj.bib/Publi...k_2007.pdf
. The USGS is hosting a congressional briefing on June 6 in Washington,
D.C. on climate change impacts on the Colorado River. The briefing is open
to the public. For more information about this briefing, visit
www.usgs.gov/solutions or contact Jessica Robertson at 703-648-6624 or
jrobertson@usgs.gov.

Mineral Production Data Reflect Economic Slowdown

The USGS releases minerals information essential to the U.S. economy and
national security. The latest quarterly USGS data on U.S. mineral
production reflect the domestic housing market decline over the past year.
The USGS study shows significant declines in domestic production for a
number of construction materials, including cement, gypsum, crushed stone,
and construction sand and gravel. USGS mineral data are used by the Federal
Reserve System’s Board of Governors in preparing its index of industrial
production, a principal economic indicator. To see the report “U.S.
Production of Selected Mineral Commodities,” visit
http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/c...y/mis.html. For more
information on the USGS Mineral Resources Program, visit
http://minerals.usgs.gov/. You can also contact Jessica Robertson at
703-648-6624 or jrobertson@usgs.gov.

FEEDS: (USGS tools and resources)

Hurricanes: The Season is Here

June 1 marks the start of this year’s hurricane season and the USGS has
science that weathers the storm. More than half of the U.S. population is
located within 50 miles of a coast, and that number is continuously
increasing. A major goal of the USGS is to reduce the vulnerability of the
people and areas most at risk from natural hazards. Learn more about what
the USGS is doing by visiting http://www.usgs.gov/hazards/hurricanes/2008/.
For more information, contact Jennifer LaVista at 703-648-4432 or
jlavista@usgs.gov.

What’s Up With Sinkholes?

Sinkholes are common where the rock below the land surface can naturally be
dissolved by ground water circulating through them. These rocks include
limestone, gypsum and salt. As the rock dissolves, underground voids and
caverns develop. The recent sinkhole and catastrophic collapse in Texas is
an example of an area impacted by subsurface salt. Sinkholes are dramatic
because the land surface may not show evidence of the caverns below until a
collapse occurs. These collapses can range from several feet in diameter to
many acres and affect houses, roads and other infrastructure. About 25 to
30 percent of our country is underlain by soluble rock, practically every
state contains soluble rock in the subsurface, and large regions in the
Appalachians, the Midwest, Florida and Texas are prone to sinkhole
collapses. For more information about sinkholes, listen to an interview
with USGS scientist Randall Orndorff at
http://www.usgs.gov/corecast/details.asp?ID=74 or visit
http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/earthgwsinkholes.html. You can also contact
Randall Orndorff at 703-648-4316 or rorndorf@usgs.gov or David Weary at
703-648-6897 or dweary@usgs.gov.

Dying Bats in the Northeast Remain a Mystery

Investigations continue into the cause of a mysterious illness that has
resulted in the deaths of thousands of bats since March 2008. At more than
25 caves and mines in the northeastern United States, bats exhibiting a
condition now referred to as “white-nosed syndrome” have been dying. The
USGS recently issued a Wildlife Health Bulletin, advising wildlife and
conservation officials throughout the United States to be on the lookout
for the condition and report suspected cases of the disease. You can listen
to a podcast interview with two USGS scientists speaking about this
syndrome in bats at http://www.usgs.gov/corecast/details.asp?ID=77. For
more information, visit http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/, or contact Gail Moede
Rogall at 608-270-2438 or gmrogall@usgs.gov.

Boldly Going Where No Man (or Woman) Goes: USGS Unmanned Aircraft

In dangerous and remote areas — such as polar regions, volcanic islands,
and expansive deserts — remote-controlled unmanned aircraft can provide
more detailed, more timely data about the status of natural resources and
environmental conditions than would be feasible by any other means. That is
why the USGS is establishing a new program for earth observation using
unmanned aircraft systems. In many cases, this technology is simply the
most cost effective way to gather earth observation data for a wide variety
of applications: managing federal lands, investigating climate change,
mapping and charting, conducting environmental risk assessments, and
responding to and recovering from natural and human-induced disasters.
Working in partnership with many other federal agencies, academic
institutions and industry groups, the USGS will promote unmanned aircraft
system technology for civil, domestic applications. For more information,
visit http://rmgsc.cr.usgs.gov/UAS/ or contact Heidi Koontz at 303-202-4763
or hkoontz@usgs.gov.

Is the Water Warm Enough for a Dip?

Continuous real-time information on water quality is a vital asset that
helps safeguard lives and property and ensures adequate water resources for
a healthy economy. As the weather heats up, swimming, boating and fishing
become the ideal way to spend a weekend. Find out if the water is warm
enough for your favorite recreational activities by checking out real-time
water quality information through the USGS WaterQualityWatch Web site at
http://water.usgs.gov/waterwatch/wqwatch/. Real-time water quality
measurements are available at more than 1,300 sites across the nation.
Measurements include streamflow, water temperature, pH levels, dissolved
oxygen, turbidity and specific conductance. For more information, contact
Jennifer LaVista at 703-648-4432 or jlavista@usgs.gov.

No Bandying Around: The Future of the Bird Banding Laboratory

Since 1920, the USGS Bird Banding Laboratory and the Canadian Wildlife
Service have banded more than 63 millions birds. A just-released Federal
Advisory Committee report details future actions and goals for the Bird
Banding Laboratory’s next 10 to 15 years. Although the earliest banding
studies focused on migration, information from banded birds is now used to
study bird behavior and ecology; monitor populations and restored
endangered species; assess the effects of environmental disturbances; set
hunting regulations; educate people about the environment; and address
concerns about human safety and health. For example, banding studies are
helping researchers track diseases such as West Nile virus and avian
influenza. The report, authored by scientists from the bird-banding
community and published by the USGS, can be accessed at
http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/circ1320/. For more information about the Bird
Banding Laboratory, visit http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/ or contact Daniel
James at 703-648-4253 or dan_james@usgs.gov.

STORY SEEDS: (points to ponder or investigate)

Humans Hunting Wolves: Effects on Wolf Populations

The prospect of hunting wolves recently removed from the Endangered Species
List in the northern Rockies or the western Great Lakes region may be
surprising, but throughout Alaska and Canada wolves have long been
harvested by people for their pelts. The effects of human harvest on wolf
populations are not well understood because wolf research has focused
largely on protected, at-risk populations or those subject to agency
control programs. According to a new Wildife Monograph by the USGS and
Alaska Department of Fish and Game, half of the wolves harvested in the
central Brooks Range of Alaska were probably transient wolves, including
dispersers from local packs and distant migrants. The authors also examined
other North American wolf studies and found that wolf population trends are
not affected by human-caused losses that are less than 30 percent of the
population each year. These results are important for wildlife managers and
the public because they provide information for the debate surrounding wolf
management. For more information, visit
http://www.wildlifejournals.org/perlserv...st=get-toc&issn=0084-0173&volume=170&issue=1
or contact Layne Adams at 907-786-7159 or ladams@usgs.gov.

Sea Otters: Picky Eaters

“What’s for dinner?” is a question researchers studying the California sea
otter population have been closely examining. Understanding foraging
behavior may prove helpful in pinpointing sea otters’ exposure to specific
vectors of food-borne diseases. Scientists at the USGS and the University
of California, Santa Cruz, found that the diets of individual sea otters
vary as a response to reduced food availability. By comparing sea otter
populations in central California and San Nicolas Island, they found that
sea otter diets are highly consistent when food is abundant. When food
becomes limiting, as it has in parts of central California, individual sea
otters tend to specialize on particular types of prey, and these
specialized diets differ between individuals at any given location. At the
population level, this results in a more diverse prey base, even though
there can be reduced diet diversity at the individual level. For more
information on sea otter diets and feeding strategies, visit
http://soundwaves.usgs.gov/2008/05/research.html or contact Tim Tinker at
831-459-2357 or ttinker@usgs.gov.

Ducking in for a Spring Break: Southern Oregon and Northeastern California

Over a million waterfowl per day used Southern Oregon and Northeastern
California as a major layover region during their spring migration in 2002
and 2003, according to a recent USGS study. Using aerial surveys, USGS
scientists studied the abundance and distribution of ducks, geese, swans
and coots during spring, quantifying this region’s critical importance to
Pacific Flyway waterfowl. Northern pintail, a species of special concern,
was the most common species that stopped there. To learn more, visit
http://www.werc.usgs.gov/pubbriefs/flesk...r2008.html or contact Joe
Fleskes at 707-678-0682 x628 or joe_fleskes@usgs.gov.

As long as annette posted today's latest, I thought I'd toss in that they
were using "remote" robots just after Mt. St. Helens erupted near the
dome to mesasure gas emissions and heat temperatures, because the
Sceintist themselves didn't know what the mountain was going to do,
and as to the "warm water" reports and fishing conditions they give out
on our riverways, many of us use to keep our eye on them also when
Mt. St. Helen's was in its ash "moodiness" days, because if you saw
cloudy water condtions, it meant she might be ready to "pout" a little
bit that day. (You know how gals are!)
For those of you that don't know...www.urban-survival web site, one
that works in corespondence with "Half-past-human" web site is an trend
setter in picking up about 20 million "random" words per week off the
various web sites, from that they beleive what people are talking about
is the sub-conscious beginnings of our future coming up. They have picked up the wordage for an large west coast quake before November,
and they hit and posted the quake in China an day or so before it
happened. Everyone is waiting for more "wordage" to see if they can determine anything more about it as to location perhaps. Many are
thinking right now Southern California because of the "swarms" going on
down by the Salton Sea area. There has even been posted an UFO
evacuation possible for Los Angelas and what to expect from it...which
I guess you know has left some in awe, others in fear, and yet others in complete "shock" so as to say...while many term it "BS" more or less.
In the meanitme China along with other countries (USA being one of them)beleive they now have the means to issue pre-warnings on quakes, and are setting up an website for that, discussed on "Coast to Coast" last Friday nights "news". As I keep saying, get prepared if your
not already prepared and stay prepared. Annette, there's some talk that
if the San Andres were to "move" that it would or could influence San
Francisco with an quake also, though it most likely would be smaller in
magnitude then "LA". Let's hope not, as there are so many soothsayers
these days out there...sometimes its hard to cope with them all. As
to those whom have been in prediction for years on end, Jim Berkland
being one of them, monitors "lost pets" as an indicator of what is going
on if he see's other means that indicate something could happen, (Golden Gate Bridge tides have been their highest of the year as of last
week, with I think he said 8.5 feet..we also had an new moon phase, which affects the tides, and the shifting of the billions of tons of water
weight on the ocean every six hours inland) for the last week's results go to his webiste www.syzygyjob.com and read the forums, but for an brief breakdown, in the "LA" area of last week, it started out with 9 animals and went up to 10 and then 15 and that's where I last left it off, not to mention the "cow" on the freeway down there near an tunnel before an small quake last weekn in the area. Ths next week should calm
things down a little better, I think. Be aware though... if your in this area
and/or on the west coast in general.
this map makes it look very quiet in most of California, especially Los Angeles

http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/step/

here is what I see at this day/time}
[attachment=322]
from Kemokae}

...you guys just has an 3.1 (Moraga ?) close by you, she might be feeling the symptoms of that.......what we call "Quake flu"..it's the electromagnetics screwing up her functioning in her nervous system...I was surprised to see that just coming in, they are getting closer all the time and slightly elevated in Mag....I hope your keeping aware of them all...look to be headed north, I haven't seen the San Fracnsico Bay "creep" charts lately.
I was over an 2.5 epicenter area one time during the day when they had an quake that night,
and I was nauseuated to my stomach and just plainly so dizzy it was near impposble to
function...kind of like an "drunk" in ways..but had not an thing,
she might not be feeling to good.
My left leg was "pulsating" two nights ago, I've been eating
bannana every day since just in case it's an potasttium problem, if it was an quake symtpom,
someone's about to "get it" but I think more like in South America area then California...I can't say that I was into noticing my symtpoms during the last biggies down there so, I am not
really sure what I should be expecting for California. This also goes back to EQMary in JOB's web site, remember how she was always being "affected" I looked her area up and I
find out it's an absolute "Jungle" of radio emission towers for all over the world from the state
captiol being localed there, plus they have an VERY POWERFUL radio station out of tthe area. We kept having similiar symtpoms about the same time, I too in the hills behind me
have an hillside of the towers for about everything you can think of that I think act as "receivers" from other places.
People that have health issues are much more sensitve then those that aren't. Just thought I'd mention this. When I talk about
"getting out of the area" I'm talking several hours drive away and off the known local fault systems. Kemokae.

quote kemokae} My left leg was "pulsating" two nights ago,
if it is an quake symptom, someone's about to "get it"
:rofl:
this is close to home .. My Uncle's house was on the other side of Moraga drive ..
this must be an astrological window for Piedmont
that is important because it is rare they have any aerials for energy in their 4th house ..

View Larger Map
two descent sized quakes in a row}
Geographic coordinates: 37.867N, 122.242W
Magnitude: 2.7 Mcd
Depth: 11 km
Universal Time (UTC): 10 Aug 2008 20:50:05
Time near the Epicenter: 10 Aug 2008 13:50:05
Local standard time in your area: 10 Aug 2008 12:50:05

Location with respect to nearby cities:
3 km (2 miles) E (101 degrees) of Berkeley, CA
5 km (3 miles) ESE (120 degrees) of Albany, CA
5 km (3 miles) N (349 degrees) of Piedmont, CA
19 km (12 miles) ENE (57 degrees) of San Francisco City Hall, CA

ADDITIONAL EARTHQUAKE PARAMETERS

then, 22 min later, another ..

Geographic coordinates: 37.865N, 122.245W
Magnitude: 2.3 Mcd
Depth: 11 km
Universal Time (UTC): 10 Aug 2008 21:12:57
Time near the Epicenter: 10 Aug 2008 14:12:57
Local standard time in your area: 10 Aug 2008 13:12:57

Location with respect to nearby cities:
3 km (2 miles) ESE (106 degrees) of Berkeley, CA
5 km (3 miles) ESE (123 degrees) of Albany, CA
5 km (3 miles) NE (49 degrees) of Emeryville, CA
18 km (11 miles) ENE (57 degrees) of San Francisco City Hall, CA

ADDITIONAL EARTHQUAKE PARAMETERS

Bring it on!
Bring it on before they build the new stadium=death-trap!
they've got the tree sitters down now but a tent city is going up ..

see this article}
Judge must modify UC Berkeley sports stadium case
By Kristin Bender
Oakland Tribune
Article Launched: 08/07/2008 09:26:21 PM PDT

The fight between UC Berkeley and two groups fighting to stop a sports training center from being built will drag on after the state Court of Appeal on Thursday left in place an injunction stopping construction.

The case now returns to Alameda County Superior Court Judge Barbara Miller for further work and hearings.

The city of Berkeley, the Panoramic Hill Association and the California Oak Foundation sued UC Berkeley in December 2006 to stop it from building its $140 million sports training center, where 44 trees are planted. People have been living in the trees since then, and at least three tree-sitters remain.

After a trial last fall, Miller ruled in Cal's favor in July, lifting a stop-work order that has been in place for 18 months. But last month the California Oak Foundation and the Panoramic Hill Association both appealed Miller's ruling. The city of Berkeley refused to join the appeal. The California Oak Foundation also filed a motion for a new trial.

On Thursday, the appellate court wrote that the "preliminary injunction is not yet dissolved because final judgment in the case never took effect.''

For now, the injunction will remain in place "subject to future modification by the trial court, as appropriate." Had the appellate court ruled in Cal's favor, the injunction would likely have been lifted Wednesday.

The plaintiffs expressed satisfaction with the small win.

"We're pleased that the appellate

court saw the importance of following correct procedures because we had the feeling that some of our rights were being overlooked," said Doug Buckwald, a member of Save the Oaks at the Stadium.

The Court of Appeal's ruling seems to mean the injunction will stay in place at least until Aug. 21, when Miller will issue a preliminary ruling on the plaintiffs' motion for a new trial. A hearing on that issue is slated for Aug. 25.

"Although this additional delay is regrettable given the cost the university is incurring with every passing day, we remain confident that the legal process will soon conclude, allowing us to commence construction of the new athletic facility,'' said university spokesman Dan Mogulof.

View Larger Map

kemokae Wrote:Looks like I'm learning my way around, on the temple mount earthquake...above being an 5 pointer quake...
you know the Nisqually Quake that happened near Olympia, Washington
came rolling through my area, eastside Portland, Oregon a couple of
years ago and I was sitting there on the sofa, watching my ususal morning shows, an nice day out after a couple of days of rain, baskign in the sun, and I start feeling this vibrating, it gets louder, and I'm staring at the ceiling light, it's kind of an ugly "gothic" (well it came with the house, to tell you the truth...and you know how that is) looking thing and it's swinging from one side up to the ceiling to the other side, and it comes on TV instantly.."Yes, we are having an earthquake"..so I think to myself, "Get the heck out"!...and took off running for the front door, my neighbor's in his yard blowing leaves and I walk over to him and say, we just had an good sized earthquake you know, and he says, "No, really, I thought it maybe the machine"...I just shook my head and waved good by, got back in and all the channels on the news have it on and TV Alert...that went on for well over half a day on TV..later on that night I am inspecting my fireplace wall, and I saw a small crack in it..now anymore shaking and I wonder if it would of stood the test..it came through Portland at about the magnitude of an 5 pointer. I know... put your "faith in God" and don't wet your pants honey! You all do realize how far away Olympia, Washington is from me....nearly 75 miles away, I was just thinking, now people are talking about the biggie in Cailfornia again, I can just imagine how much of that we will feel up here, it's kind of scary..where's my security blanket?, the one with the worn out corner, I use to pick on...sigh* I think I'll take helicopter lessons just in case? OK, get Batman wings at the very least. Later.

learn to levitate?