Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Supreme Court Put Brakes on Cop Chases?

On the way to Los Angeles a car passed us followed by a dozen or more highway patrol cars.
They sped by us fairly fast and I just continued going along, like a big dummy!

I didn't trip on it till a few minutes later .. "how do these things generally end?"
Right about then I began to see tail lights going on up ahead.
We were coming to an off ramp and I decided to take it.
I told Charles,
"I don't want to be near this mess! Sometimes they come out shooting!"
Up ahead the traffic was starting to back up.
There were cars backing up on the freeway, driving in reverse up the off ramp.

About 10 minutes went by and the red tail lights up ahead turned off and
cars began to move forward so we started up and got back on the highway.
3/4 of a mile up we saw the car they'd been chasing was on the shoulder of the road near a big pile of dirt.
The cops found a good place to run him off the road.
After seeing these chases on TV I know not to get too close.
They always seem to lose control and hit innocent persons.

I found this article today and I disagree with it whole heartedly!
It says this idiot gets to blame the cops because he got injured while they were chasing him.
Too fucking bad! I don't care if he died from getting chased!
He became a lethal weapon when he used his car to try to out run the cops.

I think he gave up his rights when he put everyone in danger.
If the person causing the chase gets hurt that is not the cop's fault.
Picking up a loaded gun and waving it is the same to me as getting in a car
and going like a bat out of hell.
Such a person must be stopped before innocent people are hurt or killed.
I have no quams about stopping them dead.

I am more inclined to restrict the cops from doing chases.
I was on Market st. in downtown San Francisco as I turned right
to go up a cross street just as a cop car was coming down it [in my lane] heading against traffic!
we nearly had a head on collision!

I do not expect to see the grill of a speeding cop car in my lane on a blind turn!
I think the cops should call for choppers to do the chasing.
There are plenty of helecopters over head during commute hours.
Shoot the car with a paint gun then let the choppers chase it!

This case is about the rights of the person doing the high speed getaway. What rights?!

this is the article}
Feb. 25, 2007 — High-speed police chases are fodder for cable news, but they kill more than 350 people on average every year. On Monday, for the first time in 20 years, the Supreme Court considers limiting how far police can go in trying to catch a fleeing suspect.

The case stems from a 2001 chase in Georgia. Officers were chasing a speeding Cadillac driven by 19-year-old Victor Harris. They clocked Harris going 73 miles per hour in a 55 mph zone. The chase reached speeds up to 90 miles per hour on the wet, dark Atlanta road.

Finally, police used a police technique known as PIT, an acronym for Pursuit Intervention Technique. The police cruiser rammed the fleeing car at angle to spin it around. In Harris's case, it sent his car flying into an embankment and left him paralyzed.

Harris sued Deputy Timothy Scott for using excessive force. Two lower courts have sided with Harris.

The chase was recorded by a dashboard camera, which also recorded Scott getting permission from his supervisor to use the PIT technique.

"Go ahead and take him out. Take him out!" comes the reply over the radio.

Harris's lawyer, Craig Jones, says Harris was just a speeder, fleeing because he was scared. He says deadly force was not justified.

"The mere fact that someone is driving unsafely or driving in violation of traffic laws, is that enough reason to be able to use deadly force to stop them?" Jones said.

A survey by the U.S. Department of Justice found only four percent of Americans believe high-speed chases should be banned entirely. More than half say police should have enough discretion to decide when it is safe to chase a suspect and when it isn't.

ABC News' Jan Crawford Greenburg and Dennis Powell contributed to this report.
I have no idea what the statistics are on the chases, though I know they happen just about everywhere, but whenever I think of police chases, I think of Los Angeles.

I learned recently that there are restrictions in NJ for police car chases. Only a certain amount of cars can going into the pursuit (I can't find the article where I read about this for the details).

I agree that they should keep chases restricted to helicopters. I'm sure that would make for a safer situation.
How many high speed chases have gone passed me?
there was one on the golden Gate Bridge.
We were leaving Marin, Joyce was in one car and I was in another.
I forget if Gina was in my car or in her own.. suddenly about 14 highway patrol came up behinnd us!
Joyce had us all over for one of her "emergencies".
She was trying to get Alice out of her bed & out of her life but Joyce was afraid of Alice, she said she had a gun.
When we saw the cops behind us I Know Joyce said she thought they were for her!
The car they were pursuing sped by followed by a fleet of highway patrol cars Filling all the southbound lanes on the bridge.
This latest chase on highway 101 near some arm-pit of a town (they have a bunch of prisons in the middle of California)
was the most like what you see on T.V.

The time when I turned right off market street and found myself grill to grill with a cop car coming against traffic, that was the scariest.
The cop showed no brains to have done it.

I know there has been more than 3 x I was on the road in a chase ..
I can't help thinking I am forgetting some big harry thing ..

The only time I actually felt death in the air was one night down at the back end of the dog park where the big trucks park.
I was there visiting the old woman who lived in her truck when several small black and shiny cars came in and began those high speed spins.
It scared the shit out of me!
there were three cars lined up to observe and a 4th that did the dougnuts, tires smoking!
They would have hit me if they lost control!
Then the cops came .. some Richmond cop had her light in my face, "don't I know you from somewhere?"
Hell no you don't!
It was a few nights later, in another of those late night rendevous some person was killed.
The fool was standing outside the car doing the spinning and it spun out, killing him.
It felt like death was riding with those cars that night.

That's scary!
I've seen the police racing around the streets (small streets), and I often wonder how they avoid hitting people, sometimes without their sirens on.

Officers, while robotic and emotionless, they're still very human, and can make stupid mistakes like anyone else.
how about shooting the perp and/or their car with paintballs?
a roof-mounted paintball gun could mark the get-away-car?
Ooooh! I like that idea! Like how they have those paint bombs in money bags.
I'm thinking of calling our local police to suggest it.
even a glow in the dark paint could be used
Hah! Go for it! I think it's a great idea!