Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
from Frankybonz' post in shout box

your link in shouts isn't loading for me
I'll try this
northfork will like it, he keeps saying animals are better.
"the Only cartoon" to be nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize?

time for another one!
terrific!
thats the best education cartoon ever!
show the kids how awful we are by fighting, before they grow up and daddy teaches them to love the flag!

i really really love it

nice find Frankybonz

Thanks!

This morning I was doing some reading on the pioneer cartoon animators of the 1920's-40's as well as a few modern ones. I read about this cartoon which supposedly won the Nobel Peace Prize (it's disputable whether it actually did since it's not in the records of awarded NPP's).

Anyway, I looked it up to see if I could watch it online. It turns out I had seen it a few times before when I was younger. Still, it's a really well made, well thought out cartoon and story.

When I got into learning stop-motion animation about 15 years ago, I really noticed how the quality of cartoons has dropped significantly. Less time is spent on the backgrounds, character designs are uninspired, and the stories... well, calling them an after thought would be generous.

This particular cartoon is the first of it's kind, and it was done back when artistic integrity was still alive in the big studios. It was the first cartoon to have a serious tone, and a real message.

Hanna & Barbara (those guys who gave us Tom & Jerry, The Flintstones, etc) remade this cartoon in 1955. There were a few things that I liked better in the story. The world ends in a nuclear war, which is more plausible, and the message is expressed a little better (In 1939, unless you were someone like Einstein, you had no concept of that). Overall, I prefer the original, even though both are great, and have the same message.
here's the other one:

Glad you both enjoyed it. It's too bad these cartoons aren't shown to kids more often rather than the ones with senseless violence that only show the example of good overcoming evil is through excessive force.
I found the written story of Ferdinand the Bull by Monroe Leaf
there is also a cartoon any way to find it?
I think there are two versions of it:
One by Disney, which means that it will be VERY difficult to find online.
And another by Fleischer Films < but that's just a guess.

EDIT

According to imdb.com Disney's the only one... I doubt that.
My Mom said it was a political statement against war.
It was. It was written as a response to the Spanish Civil War.
Is that also called the Spanish-American war?
when was that? before or after WWI? {that was to be "the war to end all wars"
I can't imagine the head space people must have been in
back in 1939!
No, the Spanish and American war was fought in the late 1800's. That's how we gained control over the Philippines.

The Spanish Civil war happened in the 1930's.

i love the other one too..
i have another cartoon really good called: susie the little blue coupe
i am uploading it right now, when its done ill post is