http://science.slashdot.org/science/07/0...2244.shtml

**EDIT**

I found this article too:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6369347.stm

Possible Cure For Autism
Posted by kdawson on Monday February 19, @10:53PM
from the umbrella-for-the-rainman dept.
Biotech Science
Henry V .009 writes "Scientists in New Jersey are claiming that children with autism are unable to metabolize key fatty acids that fight brain-damaging inflammations. They have already developed urine/blood tests to identify at-risk children. A preventive cure to autism may be as simple as a 'therapeutic cocktail' of fatty acids. Human trials could start later this year."

I wonder if they are doing this at St. Jude Hospital?
Now this is getting scary! They say, "1 in 100 kids have it" how can that be?!
When I was growing up, there wasn't anyone like that in any family we knew.

Autism gene breakthrough hailed
chromosome
Chromosome 11 was identified as one of the culprits
Scientists have found new autism genes by scanning the largest collection of families with multiple cases of autism ever assembled.

The monumental task of studying the 1,200 families took more than 120 scientists from more than 50 institutions across 19 countries.

The work, described in Nature Genetics, implicates a region of chromosome 11 and a specific gene called neurexin 1.

Experts say the findings should help with finding new autism treatments.

These exciting results may represent a step on the way to further new treatments
Child psychiatrist Professor Jonathan Green

Autism is a complex brain disorder that inhibits a person's ability to communicate and develop social relationships, and is often accompanied by extreme behavioural challenges.

Scientists have long suspected that errors in a person's genetic blueprint play a part in autism.

Genetic code, DNA, is packaged in cells in the form of chromosomes, which are made up of strings of genes.

Experts have now located a region of one chromosome - 11p - and a gene called neurexin 1.

Neurexin belongs to a family of genes that help nerve cells communicate and the scientists now believe these play a critical role in autism spectrum disorders.

The work began five years ago in 2002, when scientists pooled their research resources and expertise and formed the Autism Genome Project.

They used "gene chip" technology to look for genetic similarities in autistic people, funded by the non-profit organisation Autism Speaks and the US National Institutes of Health.

Treatment need

Child psychiatrist Professor Jonathan Green, who led the clinical fieldwork in Manchester, said: "Autism is a very difficult condition for families - communication is taken for granted by parents of healthy children but is so greatly missed by those with autistic children.

"We hope that these exciting results may represent a step on the way to further new treatments in the future."

Professor John Burn, of the Institute of Human Genetics at Newcastle University, said the news was fantastic.

But he cautioned: "There will almost certainly be an interaction between several genes so this one discovery doesn't provide a complete answer and may not lead straight to a genetic test but it could be a key step in development for effective treatments as it provides a target for drug development."

Dr Fred Kavalier of the British Society for Human Genetics said a cure for autism was still a long way off.

Professor Simon Baron-Cohen, director of the Autism Research Centre at Cambridge University, said independent replication of the findings was now needed.

The next phase of the work, which will take three years and cost more than £7m, will home in on the suspect areas of DNA.

It is estimated that autism and related disorders affect up to one in 100 British children.
I have been reading that there are milder forms of autism. So at the very least, that child would have difficulty developing mature social skills. Based on that, and how inaccurate statistics usually are, you have to figure in misdiagnoses.

Even if it were 1 in 1000, that's still a frighteningly high rate, and I don't think the odds are even close to being that likely.

Also not that the article states, "autism and related disorders"
i heard that here is more like 1 in 400 but like you say, how accurate is that?
I now know one gal with one child who was born in the UK on a US Military base.
His mother thinks it is due to vaccines he was given in infancy.

the U.K. .. crop circles ..hmm
One thing that should be admitted, while you place the whole roswell conspiracy as one possibility due to the similar time frames, there were other things going on here at the same time too, like nuclear testings for instance.

The vaccinations could be a possibility, since people react differently to things like that. Looks at flu vaccines and how it makes some people get sick, and others avoid the illness because of it.
I thought of aliens because of the way they are described by the abductees.
Many claim they have seen children they believe were made from "farming" their eggs or sperm.
Also, they say these beings seem void of emotion, mouths that don't smile.

Right, I've heard these things too.

I'm more willing to believe that it's our meddling in things that we shouldn't be, like atomic weapons. How many test nukes did we set off in the south west, and the pacific?
there is a city called st. george in Utah that took a lot of radiation.
I have not heard of any clusters of autism around 3 mile island or chernobyl
I was thinking it is most likely the vaccines the kids are given.
Wendy's daughter is from my street and so is her mom
her other two kids have a different father.
This daughter of wendy's is the one who has the autistic child, born in UK on american base
vaccinations are a pretty good source of bad shit, so I don't doubt that could be a cause.

It begs the questions: Is medicine really and exact science, or is it all theory and guess work?
Eda said, "they call it practicing medicine"
HAHAHA!! That's the truth!

My mom used to be nurse. She used to watch the doctors make so many mistakes. She would call them on it too. She got scolded by one of the doctors in front of ever one at one point, she threw a fix, told the doc where to stick it, and quit. She wasn't going to take shit from someone who couldn't do their job right.
a lot of doctors have the attitude they are god and they do not have to educate the patient or get the patient's conscent.
They just give orders!
My Dad said, dont bother to go to them, if you get well it was going to happen anyway.
half the time they do more harm than good.
people go to the hospital and Get diseases these days!
some flesh eating bacteria from them not washinng their hands!

I won't go near a doctor after what they did to my parents, my aunt and my uncle.
"people go to the hospital and Get diseases these days!" not these days, that's been the way since forever.

Yesterday my mom was telling me about how a doctor caused her grandmother's death. He was doing exploratory surgery, and tied off her small intestine to get it out of the way. He closed her up without untying that intestine, and eventually started treating her for what he figured was stomach cancer.
it's amazing that detail was evern found out!

Eda's oncologist {is that the term?
told her, after her nearly two years of chemo: "I'm surprised you are still living"

My Aunt Jean died in surgery because they didn't spot a tumor in her asophagus
she strang;ed during her surgery.
Before that she was in a car crash, went to the hospital and was sent home [as ok] but later she collapsed.
She'd wrecked her pancreas and needed 3 surgeries on her mid section where the steering wheel nailed her when she swerved to miss a dog and hit a fire hydrant.

My Father, My Uncle, they just took their money and ruined the last year of their lives.

My Mother couldn't even Get a Doctor!
No one wanted any new patients when the aides epidemic was new.
"healers" {my eye!

If they are really healers they won't have the heart to charge like they do!

Recently, Rhoda was in for breast cancer treatment.
The shit list is much longer but I am just telling some of it:
She went for a mamogram a year before, told them about a soreness in the area.
They poo pooed it but a year later the area had a sizeable tumor.
The shit them put her thru, injecting her with radioactive dye,
then losing all the results & forcing her to repeat the proceedure!
Her Doctor wouldnt answer her questions, he told her" "you are wanting to know too much detail"
There are decisions they asked her to make based on knowledge she doesn't have!
She found out some things from the internet but she opted for the standard proceedure.
Ya know, I can see there isn't enough change to her life/attitude and that Must change or she won't stay well.
When will the doctors realize we are not separate from our bodies? they cannot treat just the physical form and ignore the mind!

Last night I called Del, she is in a knot over her pug Buster.
She thinks he needs nuetoring because he is now 9 yr old.
Her old man is dead but he wouldnt allow it if he were alive.
All night last night she said Buster paced and kept her awake.
"no shit?!" I told her, "He is seeing pictures in your mind and you are not ok with this."
I hope she waits. she better be convinced it is the right thing to do or the dog will not be cool wit it.
Iam against de nutting. They should just do them like they do people, "snip snip"
Ripping out their balls is cruel! (and I do mean rip.. I watched..)

"it's amazing that detail was ever found out!" Autopsy

My mom says that doctors kill more people than they save. And hearing that from someone who worked along side of them, that means a hell of a lot.

"They should just do them like they do people, "snip snip"
Ripping out their balls is cruel!"

Yeah, it doesn't make sense why they don't do it that way. What they do now is incredibly cruel. I think some people are still under the impression that animals don't matter as much as humans, so they can do whatever they want to them.
I was surprised the dog can't get laser surgery to remove his catarachs!
they do it the old way, knife and fork
Maybe it's too expensive, and people don't want to pay out the $$ for a pet.
that is hard to believe.
I watch the Dog Whisperer, he goes to those movie stars houses to help with their dogs.
There is no amount those people won't pay!
Think about the Osbourne's 10 + dogs
the dogs at the Playboy Mansion, Oprah had 11 dogs at one point.
U.C.Davis wanted $1,500 for tests and $5,000 for treatment for one dog.
I didn't opt for it, the dog was 13 and her prognosis wasn't favorable.
I don't know why they don't have laser for dog's eyes.

Those are people with money to burn though. Not the average person. Stomachs to feed come before the pet's health sometimes.

It could also be the cost of the equipment for the vets. Less patients means less income, which means no spiffy laser surgery.
my bet is it takes special training most bets do not have.
deco spent thousands on her cat even though all she gets is SSI
maybe it is a niche that needs filling? laser eye surgery for dogs?
Maybe. Most dogs that I've known of, when they reach old age, they develop cataracts. Lincoln, my landlord's dog has them in both eyes.

So I'm sure there's a (for lack of a better term) market for it. I think you're dead on about the special training.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dr. Richard Bartlett talks CURE FOR COVID 19 Annette 0 1,078 07-08-2020, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Annette