Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hate your Job? looking for a new one?
pitch your bitch here about your job/boss and then
tell us what it is you'd like to be doing instead

this is my ideal job [attachment=96] I :love: to count money
So, I was fired today. No, not the new place, but my old job as a photo retoucher. One week after agreeing to keep me on part time, they waited for me to call in to tell me that I'm out on my ass if this gig in NJ doesn't work out.

Naturally I will apply for unemployment, and take back as much as I can from the place. I hope this gets me enough for a down payment on a new car. So far the little guy is still pushing it's way around, and doing it well enough, but I'm afraid that its transmission is done for.

Sure, I was pissed about this, and my boss decided, instead of being on my side, to play devil's advocate for once, affirming that he's a fucking sheep, and will never progress past that place. It's going down the tubes, and it looks like he'll go down with it.

The good news is that next week, after the Christmas break, I will be working for for the other department at the company in NJ. When they asked me if I was available, they also told me that I worked well with them the two days I was there, ALSO that I fit in with how they work, and have never had such luck with anyone else they've brought in! :woohoo:

I think I would prefer to work for that side anyway. The type of product they do is strictly stationary, and seems to be more suited for what I would like to be doing (as a graphic designer, if anyone had no clue what I do), and they seem to be more organized over the Toys department.

It's a growing company, and they're obviously doing well. They sell their products to stores such as Target, Toys R Us. So, there is a lot of promise to what's going on there.
a good turn of events I hope
the housing situation you are in needed to changes too.
Can you finagle to stay in the house you said is: the "old house"?
it is not occupied?
I don't understand much about the way you heat it.
having an oil reserve ???
we have a connection to natural gas and electricity, no reserve.
only people with propane have a storage unit.
I guess I am totally ignorant about how your heater works.
my big house has a forced air heater that needs both elect. for the blower motor
but gas is going all the time,
100,000 BTU, pilot stays lit and it cycles on and off via the electic thermostat
if the power stops We Freeze.

this small house has a "down-draft" wall heater.
the gas flames up and the cold air from outside hgets sucked in, pushing the hot air into the room.
it doesn't need electicity but the thermostat is manual, you have warm, medium, and fry.
it is 35,000 BTU

it is broken, they changed the laws about venting and no one will touch it.
I had to use a space heater for y ears now.
fucking thing quits when it gets a dust ball, then I have to unplug it over night
I had to do that last night, the older heater is so inefficient
I have been very uncomfortably cold all night and moring.
goddamnit! I'm sick of the life I am leading.
I am using charles to help me pay the bills, he gets the big house he can make a call to 311 and allow them to hook up the call, I saw his phine bill, it is in my name
You know how long it has been sinnce I felt I could spare the change for such frivolity? he needs to be paying me more than 200 if he can fling his money around
I am bumping along fretting over making ends meet
I have about come to my limit
the floor of the house reflects a serious problem with the foundation and the landscape.
I feel overwhelmed.
the earthquakes just make me worry more that the houses won't out last me.
the one last night was in the same spot as the one two nights ago.

I talked to my parents about that a few days ago, even hypothesizing paying them rent (this would allow them to hold onto the house for longer so repairs and other reconditioning can be done to it for sale. They want to do a quick job of the repairs and sell off the house.

The place has a lot of problems, structurally, and internally. My parents seem to be going for a "sweep the dirt under the carpet" way of making repairs. For the money they want for the place, they'll never get it in the condition it's in. It might be a hot location, but who wants a place that needs to be condemned and torn down? I think there's still some asbestos in the basement...

Anyway, eventually I will need to find a place of my own. I wouldn't want to stay in that area as much as I like it now. In 10 years it will be overrun by the surrounding ghettos and will turn to shit like other towns have in the area.

I already started looking around, and it looks promising! I think there won't be a problem for me to find a decent place for cheap. Where I am now is off-the-wall expensive. The prices people are asking for are ridiculous! Certain spots in NJ are rather cheap, but there are a lot of seedy sections to be wary of. There are a lot of rednecks there, as well as gangs and nonsense like that. Thankfully we're talking about a whole state (as small as it may be), and not a city.
you really think the area your folk's house is in is headed to be a ghetto?
I wonder if you could qualify for a loan?
If your parents gave it to you cheap, call it part of your inheritance?
or
if they carried the loan ...
in the long run it is better to own the land than to pay rent.

* ask your parents to give you "Right of First Refusal"
when they get an offer,
they'd have to ask you if you wanted the chance to buy it at that price.
match it or pass = it is a way to make sure they get the fair market price.

for Jill, her home loan was with her father.
He wanted 10% profit at a time the market was paying about 8%.
He gave her the money to buy the house / which is the same as your parents giving you that house
then he billed her for it, plus the interest!
She probably couldn't qualify [by herself] for the loan so she had to cooperate with him.
if they have asbestos .. hmm
The place requires a lot of work. In my opinion, it would be more worth tearing the place down and starting over from scratch. The front of the house has been eaten away by termites, the plumbing is worthless and patchy, the electrical wiring isn't up to code, and there's no insulation at all.

My thought of renting the house was to help my parents out, but any way to deviate their plan is incomprehensible to them. The other problem is, with the way the housing market is going, if they don't sell the place soon, they won't get the money they expect to sell it for.
" if they don't sell the place soon, they won't get the money they expect to sell it for.
"

if that is clear to you, it is clear to others and that tells me they missed the market, they should re-think it.
the price they will get , this year, interest rates will rise hard and fast, less people will get loans
if there are jobs in that area, people still need to live there.
read the post I just made in your section
it is possible to mathematically compute the demographics and see if it is on the way up or out.
because the number of poor people is growing, not shrinking, their house will have more people wanting it IF there is public trasportation and schools you will have a place some one wants.
If I sold my house in 1991 I wouldn't have gotten $300,000 even.
By 2000 it had risen to over $400,000.
I calculated how much I could have sold it for, what I'd net and how much gain I could make on the money
by taking it out of this property and reinvesting it in a stock or annuity.
there is nothing that will pay me to make up the appreciation and the rent.
the rent money and the appreciation over a ten year period was clearly in favor of not selling the house.

WHen you realize that repairs are a deduction, all those broken things become a write off of the rent money which will cover them.
a nice neat loop!
I hope to do that.
then, the appreciation over time will also acrue.
selling it in 2001 compared to 1999 you can see it went up more than any investment in any fund or annutiy.
had it been rented these last 10 years, even for 1,000 not the 2,200 the house next door did rent for, just add it up.

then youyr picture is, if you put out rent to a stranger it is gone but if you put it into a house that you co own or will inherit, or get to rent below market ...
it may be worth adding all those + and - into the decision
You're most likely right. They want to sell for 600,000. Fo the area it's in if the house were in good condition they wouldn't have a problem, but all of the maintenance was done by my father, sloppily I might add (he was never a perfectionist).

With all of the work they want to put into it, they expect it to be done by February... not possible. Why do everything half-assed just to get the thing off your hands? You're never going to see the money you want unless you do a decent job. And that's why I offered to rent the place so I could help make some of the necessary repairs. There's a lot that I can do to help, but not in the time that they want it all done. They're just not being wise about this.
how despirate are they?
I'd show them on paper how much of my money they'd be seeing
if they were my landlord.
not to mention,
the only way those reparis are a deduction is if it is rented.
I would confront them with "what are they going to invest it in and how much of that will they lose to tax?
I bought treasuries they are state tax free
there are municiple bonds that are tax free but they are not "OOps proof"
an annuity pays all in one year, you get taxed all in one year.

in my case I am thinking the land is the best investment.
the US dollar is soft, where is the good investment that can't vaporize?
a rental unit is a bird in the hand.
"a rental unit is a bird in the hand."

When I thought of the idea, that's how I saw it.
It would give time and cash to help repair the place. I didn't even think about the tax benefits.

I got your email too, and you made a lot of good points there too. It's something that will help everyone out.

The area will hold up for a while from how I see things, and the place is close enough to my job to be a convenience. Though, that's the trick, seeing as how I don't have the job yet. And that's the thing holding me back from moving anywhere.

Anyway, I have time, and I'll talk to my parents.

thanks!
I keep thinking about that show TimeBomb.org said, one dollar U.S. will be worth 5¢
the other night on Bloomberg they said, "foreign money is leaving the US bond market for other investments abroad"
the foreign money has kept our economy propped up, so now what?
i am fearful of may investments, more often the are all sizzzle and no bacon.
your parents home needs money for repairs that can be a deduction as a rental
that comes off their income tax
I am still trying to get into that chat room!
I see a log in screen but the pinter is spinning and it won't type.
my log in is annette143@gmail.com
but how do others use it?? can they?? can u?
ya ya ,i lost my job too,big deal the bastard was lying to the whole wide world claiming to be a godman,and i setup lies for him to the whole world.Good thing i quit,my life was a lying hell everyday.
I found an article about a town in the throws of death after the corporate businesses left.
I am waiting for it to load .. http://hotzone.yahoo.com/

it says the town figured out a way to do commerce and keep it's self alive without the big businesses.

Maybe there is a blueprint there you can use?
It is still loading, Confusedigh:
I got up to part 2 before it ended abruptly. It was just starting to get interesting.
Thanks for the link, annette!
I am still trying to load the trailer!
what is their solution?

I heard them say: "we vote with our wallet"
which is what I said a year ago

buy goods only from businesses you want to further = boycott chains in favor of mom and pop stores

ultimately I think we need to barter to get the government out of the equation.